I often get asked if diabetics can also enjoy smoothies. Well, I will try my best to answer this frequently asked question.
The biggest issue that a green smoothie poses to a diabetic is the amount of sugar. Fruit does have fructose and glucose which those who suffer from diabetes and other metabolic disorders must keep close tabs on how. Though, as diabetics can enjoy some fruit, they can still enjoy the benefits offered by green smoothies.
Fresh fruit and a blended green smoothie are healthy ways in which a diabetic can eat more fruit and veggies. A green smoothie can even assist in reversing some of the lifestyle and diet issues that make diabetes worse.
Possible Ways That A Green Smoothie Can Help A Diabetic
I cannot exactly share with you why a green smoothie can help to lower your abnormal blood sugar. Also, I do not think that there is a particular combo that is magical. Though, what I do know is that when you drink a green smoothie every day, it sets off a few lifestyle changes that lower the factors that worsen diabetes and can even reverse it in some people.
The Ultimate Three Perks Of Green Smoothies For Type 2 Diabetes
Too much weight is a risk factor for those who have type 2 diabetes. If you shed a few pounds and exercise, you can on many occasions reverse and successfully deal with your diabetes. As a green smoothie is a great way to lose weight and eat more fruit and veggies, I highly recommend it.
More Energy For Exercising
Another way to lessen the symptoms and seriousness of diabetes is to exercise. I have found that most people who enjoy green smoothies feel they are more energized and exercise.
In General It Is A Better Diet
If you drink green smoothies, you are closer to changing your diet and lifestyle. I have found that most people who drink green smoothies regularly also do not consume as much processed food. Their diets offer a lot of nutrition, have fewer caloaries and are mostly plant-based.
I have found this to be true myself. Before I enjoyed green smoothies, I perhaps ate only one daily serving of veggies. Now I eat more than 10 servings of fruit and veggies, mostly thanks to my green smoothies.
Diabetics' Green Smoothie Recipes
The following recipes have been shared by followers who battle with type 2 diabetes.
- 1 banana
- handful of blueberries
- 2 tablespoons soaked chia seeds
- 1 cup of kale
- 1 cup of spinach
- One large orange
- A cup of kale
- Two cups spinach
- Three stalks celery
- A medium or large cucumber
- 5 ice cubes
- 6-8 ounces Minute Maid brand light lemonade
- 1 frozen banana
- 1-2 cups greens (I rotate between chard, collard greens, spinach and kale)
- 1 cup frozen or fresh fruit (I rotate berries, pineapple, pomegranate seeds/arils, mango, grapes, etc.)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons ground flax seed or chia seed
- 1 to 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 inch segment of ginger root
Lizz’s Green Smoothie
- Handful of spinach
- 3 slices of cucumber
- 1/2 stalk of celery
- 1 teaspoon of organic cinnamon
- 2 frozen strawberries
- 1 tablespoon of flax seed
- 1/2 cup of blueberries(frozen or fresh)
- 3 tablespoon of organic rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon of raw cacao
- 6 ounces of unsweetened almond milk
John’s Green Smoothie
- 1 small orange, peeled
- 2 big handfuls of spinach
- 1 large kale or chard leaf or 2 baby bok choi
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed berries
- 1 serving vegan protein powder
- 1 teaspoon goji berries, soaked for 10 minutes
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened organic coconut milk
Every person will respond differently to fruit. So, at all times keep tabs on your blood sugar levels when you enjoy a green smoothie for the first time ever. One individual may not tolerate something as well as someone else.
I hope you found this blog post useful.
If you did, feel free to share it with those you care about 🙂
Recommended by The Smoothie Guy:
Kickstart your weight loss journey with a 3-Week Smoothie Diet Challenge!
Lose up to 14 pounds in 21 days and feel confident in your own skin without starving yourself!